7.08.2010

Shhh! There's Quiet People

It's no groundbreaking news that quiet people are the scariest. Some would say that this creepy nature comes from their persistent usage in horror films, but I would say, that there persistent usage in horror films comes from their preexisting creepy nature. It's an age old question, just like the infamous "egg/chicken" battle. Let me set the record straight now: movies don't scare people, people scare people; and it is for that very reason I make my argument that Silent People are by nature scary.
Please, bear with me, allow me to further say, that the only thing scary then a person who never speaks, is a person who breaks a silence. I recently experienced meeting a new, mute person, who spoke rarely to never. Then, all of a sudden, like a brick smashing through the window of unsoundedness, he started to speak. And I mean speak. Speaking up left and right. Saying all sorts of stuff I never expected a quiet person of his standing to say. And truth be it told, I was a bit perturb. Silent people have a knack for getting you into a silent rhythm (it's like drumming with no drums) of rejected conversation opportunities. You get used to the fact that, because you've met a silent person, there will be times when you'll have to be alone (or mostly alone that is) with someone else in the room.
And don't think this is a new game that the mutes are playing, they've been doing it since god invented silence back in the early 1800s. Since then people have employed it's use for all sorts of protests, black and white films, fancy restaurants, libraries and the silent game. This silent thing is not new, but it is time that someone say something new about it. That is why, as previously mentioned, I hold it to my firm belief, that it is not the silence that scares you, but that moment when the silence is broken (or at least, that's what I'm going to write my NYTimes Bestselling book on. It will be entitled "Shhh!" and sell millions. Listen up for more details!)

Report of the Weather:
If July 6th burned like the firey fire of hell, and the 7th burned like the refrigerated coke machine in hell, I'd say today is shaping up to burn like a day in Florida. A bit of improvement, but Florida's a hell hole.

Thought:
There's the colon, the semi colon, the period, and the comma. But for some reason you can not put an exclamation point or question mark in the center of a sentence. It's blasphemy! It's downright censorship! That's why, today I announce, the arrival of two new punctuation marks (though these were designed months ago... it takes a lot of time to plan this kind of thing with the grammatical powers that be); The semi exclamation point, and semi question mark. Both look the same as their predecessors except that the period underneath is changed to a comma. They can be used in a series (i.e. I was enraged! outraged! insane! and engaged!) or to separate the pause appropriately (i.e. Are you sure it was Mark? the security guy?) Generally a sentence with a semi-exclamation or question mark conclude with a full exclamation point or question mark, but to this I say: Rules are made to be broken! destroyed! ripped up? and tarnished!

No comments: